Colorado State University Crops Testing Program, CSU Extension, and the CSU College of Ag. departments of Soil and Crop Sciences and Agriculture Biology are hosting wheat field day plot tours across eastern Colorado in June. The field days are free and open for anyone to attend (no registration necessary).
Colorado State University
Crops Testing Program: Sally Jones-Diamond, Candace Talbert, and team; Wheat Breeding Program: Dr. Esten Mason and team; Entomology Lab: Dr. Punya Nachappa and team; Colorado Seed Programs: Laura Pottorff and team; Pathology Lab: Dr. Robyn Roberts and team; Water Quality Lab: Erik Wardle and team; Forage Lab: Dr. Joe Brummer; and Soil, Water, and Plant Testing Lab: Dr. Wilma Trujillo.
Colorado Wheat Research Foundation and Colorado Wheat Administrative Committee: Brad Erker, Tyler Benninghoven, Madison Andersen, and team; seed company representatives; and company sponsors.
Detailed Schedule and Directions
- Walsh on June 1 at 8:30 a.m.
- CSU Plainsman Research Center, donuts provided. Directions: From west side of Walsh, north 4 mi on Rd 43, west 1.5 mi on Rd HH. Research station on south side of Rd HH. GPS: 37.4346, -102.3193
- Lamar on June 1 at 12:00 p.m.
- Stulp Farms, lunch provided by Farm Credit of Southern Colorado. Directions: From Hwy 385/287 in Lamar, go 5 mi south on Hwy 385 to CR CC, turn west and go 1/2 mile to plots. GPS: 38.01225, -102.623
- Brandon on June 1 at 4:30 p.m.
- Scherler Farms, dinner provided by Cargill of Cheyenne Wells. Directions: From Hwy 96 east of Brandon, north 5.75 miles on CR 59, east side of road. GPS: 38.5319, -102.4354
- Burlington on June 2 at 8:00 a.m.
- Hinkhouse Farms, breakfast provided by Stratton Equity Co-op. Directions: From I-70 exit 438, go west on Hwy 24/Rose Ave for 1/4 mile, then north on Hwy 385/8th St. for 1 mile. Turn east on CR W, field on south side of road. GPS: 39.3152, -102.2584
- Genoa on June 2 at 11:30 a.m.
- Homestead Farms, lunch provided by Pachner Agri Enterprises. Directions: From I-70 exit 371, go north on CR 31 for 5.9 miles, then west on CR 3N for 1 mile. Field on SW corner of intersection with CR 30. GPS: 39.3595, -103.5108
- Orchard on June 5 at 11:00 a.m.
- Wickstrom Farms, lunch provided and sponsored by FMC and Roggen Elevator. Directions: From Hwy 14 go south on CR 105/MCR 4 for 11 miles. Go west on MCR HH for 1/2 mile, field on north side. GPS: 40.4814, -104.079
- Hoyt Irrigated on June 5 at 2:00 p.m.
- Cooksey Farms LLC, refreshments provided. Directions: From I-76 exit 66A, take Hwy 52/CR5 south 12 miles and follow Hwy 52 curve to the west, west 2 mi to CR 3, south 5 miles to CR A, west 1/2 mile, south 1/2 mi on trail between pivot circles, field on east side. GPS: 39.9953, -104.1039
- Roggen June 5 at 4:00 p.m.
- Cooksey Family Farms, dinner provided by Roggen Farmer’s Elevator, West Greeley Conservation District, Premier Farm Credit, FMC, and Indigo Ag. Directions: From Prospect Valley, take Hwy 52 east 7 miles to CR 83, then south 1/4 mile. Field on east side of road. GPS: 40.0708, -104.2814
- Julesburg on June 6 at 8:00 a.m
- Carlson Farms LLC, breakfast provided by Carlson Grain Company. Directions: From I-76 exit 172 (Ovid), south on CR 29 for 6 mi to CR 14. East on CR 14 for 2.4 mi (from Hwy 385 go west 5.7 mi on CR 14) to farm yard and shop on south side. Plot tour after meal. GPS: 40.83526, -102.336
- Yuma on June 6 at 11:30 a.m.
- Andrews Brothers Farms, lunch provided by Andrews Brothers Seed. Directions: From Yuma, take Hwy 34 east approx 3 miles to CR J. Go north 4.7 miles. Trial on east side. Do not park in fields. GPS: 40.18605, -102.6592
- Akron on June 6 at 2:30 p.m.
- USDA-ARS Central Plains Research Center. Wheat stem sawfly panel from 2:30-3:30, wheat plot tour from 3:45-5:00, dinner to follow and provided by Bank of Colorado, Ison Oil Co., Washington County Title, Baer Agency, Farmers State Bank, Indigo Ag, FMC, Premier Farm Credit, CHS, and TBK Bank. Directions: Meet at USDA shed north of hwy. From Akron, east on Hwy 34 for 4 mi to CR GG. Turn north on CR GG, and take first turn to west towards shop. GPS: 40.1533, -103.1372.